Digital marketing is essential for businesses, and it is crucial for marketers to have a grasp on the elements of digital marketing.
Why? Consumers are online, and they research, shop, review and recommend brands all the time, using multiple devices. While traditional marketing mechanisms have their merits, brands cannot afford to rely solely on TV, radio and/or print. These promotional tools do nothing in terms of engagement or promoting meaningful conversations with consumers.
Here are the eight essentials with my thoughts on each:
1. SEO: SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. In a nutshell, it means “How well are you doing at making your website visible to search engines?” You can pay to boost your visibility, do it organically or use a combination of both.
2. PPC: Pay-per-click means exactly what you think it does: Each time a reader clicks on one of your ads, you are charged.
3. Customer communications: This is where the ongoing relationship, customer engagement and meaningful conversations come into play. You may know this as CRM (customer relationship management): strategies and technologies that businesses use to manage and analyze customer interactions and data.
4. Outbound email campaigns: Email marketing shouldn’t be overlooked. It remains a terrific way to communicate with past, current and potential customers and generate business.
5. Inbound lead nurturing: “Lead nurturing” is another way of saying lead generation. You want to tailor communications and avoid sounding overly aggressive or sales-y.
6. Social media: To maximize the impact that social media has on your overall marketing strategy, have a plan. Know who will post, what she will post and when. Designate who will monitor and respond to inquiries and comments.
7. Content: Content marketing encompasses many things: print pieces, digital pieces like infographics, social media posts, blog posts and even videos. Good content drives traffic and increases brand awareness.
8. Website: Don’t neglect your website! Update things like “About” and other basic information (address, phone number, etc.).